A brief overview of total knee replacement surgery
Total knee replacement surgery, also known as total knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure in which the damaged or diseased parts of the knee joint are removed and replaced with artificial parts (prosthetics). The surgery aims to alleviate pain and improve mobility for individuals with severe knee arthritis or other knee conditions that have not responded to other forms of treatment.
During the surgery, the damaged bone and cartilage are removed and replaced with metal and plastic components that are shaped to fit your knee. The new components are attached to the bone with cement or special bone-bonding agents. The procedure is performed under anesthesia.
Total knee replacement surgery can be a major procedure, but it is usually successful in relieving pain and improving mobility for most patients. Individuals considering the surgery need to understand the risks and benefits, as well as the cost of the procedure.
Importance of understanding the cost of the procedure
Understanding the cost of total knee replacement surgery is essential for several reasons:
- Financial planning: Total knee replacement surgery can be expensive, and individuals need to have a clear understanding of the cost so they can plan for the expense and determine how to pay.
- Insurance coverage: The cost of total knee replacement surgery may be partially or fully covered by insurance, depending on your coverage. Understanding the price can help individuals understand their insurance coverage and any out-of-pocket costs for which they may be responsible.
- High Deductible or Out-of-Network patients: Patients in Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) or in High Deductible plans may not have access to all sub-specialists in their area and may not be able to obtain coverage.
- Medical Tourism or International Patients: Knowing that your surgery is performed in an accredited facility in the United States of America provides assurances to a high standard of care in relation to the facilities and the staff caring for you.
- Comparison shopping: The cost of total knee replacement surgery can vary widely depending on the facility and location. Understanding the price can help individuals compare prices and find a fair price for the procedure.
- Cost-benefit analysis: Total knee replacement surgery is a major procedure, and it is crucial for individuals to weigh the potential benefits of the surgery against the cost. Understanding the cost can help individuals make an informed decision about whether the procedure is right for them.
Overall, understanding the cost of total knee replacement surgery is an integral part of the decision-making process for individuals considering the procedure. It is a good idea to speak with a healthcare financial advisor and your insurance provider to understand the cost and your coverage clearly.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Total Knee Replacement in Honolulu
Several factors can affect the cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu, Hawaii:
- Facility setting: The cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu can depend on whether the procedure is performed in a hospital or an outpatient surgery center. Inpatient facilities tend to cost more to run so patients may pay more for care in a hospital.
- Insurance coverage: If you have health insurance, the cost of your total knee replacement in Honolulu will depend on how much of the surgery your insurance plan covers. If you don’t have health insurance, you can expect to pay the entire surgery cost out-of-pocket.
- Location: The cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu may be affected by the facility’s location. If you live in a rural area with fewer facilities to choose from, you may pay more than you would if you lived in a city with many providers.
- Complications: In rare cases, total knee replacement surgery can result in complications such as infection, blood clots, or nerve damage. If complications occur, additional medical treatment may be required, which can increase the overall cost of the procedure.
- Implant selection: The cost of your total knee replacement in Honolulu may depend on the type of implant used. Some implant brands are more expensive, and the supplier that your hospital or surgery center uses can also affect the total price you pay for your surgery.
- Technology: Technology can play a role in total knee replacement surgery costs. Some hospitals and surgery centers may use more advanced technology, such as robotic-assisted surgery. Robotic-assisted surgery involves using a robot to assist the surgeon in performing the surgery. The robot is controlled by the surgeon and is designed to improve the accuracy and precision of the procedure. This technology can potentially increase the cost of total knee replacement surgery.
The Average Cost of Total Knee Replacement in Honolulu
The average cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu, Hawaii, can vary depending on the specific facility and your circumstances. According to NewChoice Health, the cost of a total knee replacement surgery is on average $39,472 in Honolulu. Several hospital estimates charge $69,300 for this procedure.
It is important to note that these averages are just estimates. The cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu may be higher or lower depending on the specific facility, your insurance coverage, and other factors. For comparison, the national average cost of total knee replacement surgery in the U.S. is $32,570.
Suppose you are considering total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu. In that case, it is a good idea to research the cost of the procedure and speak with your healthcare provider and insurance provider to understand better what you can expect to pay.
Paying for Total Knee Replacement in Honolulu: Insurance Coverage and Financing Options
Considering total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu, Hawaii, you may wonder how you will pay for the procedure. Here are a few options for paying for total knee replacement in Honolulu:
- Insurance coverage: If you have health insurance, your policy may cover some or all of the cost of your total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu. It is a good idea to speak with your insurance provider to understand your coverage and any out-of-pocket expenses for which you may be responsible.
- Out-of-pocket payment: If you do not have health insurance or if your insurance does not cover the total cost of the surgery, you may be responsible for paying the entire price out-of-pocket. This can be a significant expense, and it is essential to plan and budget appropriately.
- Financing options: If you cannot pay for the surgery out-of-pocket, alternative financing options may help you pay for the procedure. These options may include medical loans, payment plans through the facility, or financing through a third party. Exploring your options and seeing what may work best for your financial situation.
Overall, it is crucial to understand your options for paying for total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu and to plan to ensure you are prepared for the cost of the procedure.
The Benefits of Having Total Knee Replacement in Honolulu
There are several benefits to having total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu, Hawaii:
- Access to quality healthcare: Honolulu is home to several hospitals and surgery centers that offer high-quality healthcare. You can expect excellent care and attention from experienced surgeons and healthcare professionals.
- Beautiful location for recovery: Honolulu is known for its beautiful beaches, warm weather, and laid-back lifestyle, which can be a perfect setting for recovering from total knee replacement surgery. The city’s warm climate and outdoor activities can provide an excellent physical therapy and rehabilitation environment.
- Lower costs compared to other locations: The cost of total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu may be lower compared to other locations in the U.S., making it an attractive option for individuals who are looking to save money on the procedure.
Overall, having total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu can offer you access to quality healthcare, a beautiful location for recovery, and potentially lower costs compared to other locations. It is a good idea to speak with your healthcare provider and research the options available in Honolulu to determine whether it fits your needs.
Cost of Surgery with Dr. Morton
At our surgical center, the package for total knee replacement surgery includes the following costs:
- Surgery center costs: Our package covers the cost of the use of our facility.
- Anesthesia: The cost of anesthesia is included in our package. Our team of anesthesiologists will be responsible for administering the anesthesia and monitoring you during the surgery.
- Surgeon: The cost of the surgeon’s services is included in our package. This consists of the surgeon’s time and expertise during the surgery and any follow-up visits and initial consultation. This includes the usual expected follow up including 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and annual follow-up visits.
- Equipment: The cost of any specialized equipment or instruments used during the surgery is included in our package. Postoperative equipment including walker, ice-machine and portable SCDs are included.
- Implants: The cost of the implant used during the surgery is included in our package. The implant is a key component of total knee replacement surgery and is designed to replace the damaged or diseased parts of the knee joint. We only use the highest quality implants available.
- Long-lasting Exparel injection – Pain control for up to 72 hours after surgery.
- Tourniquet-free knee replacement – Faster recovery with decreased pain compared to the requirement of tourniquet.
- Cryoablation with iovera°: Cryoablation is a procedure that uses extreme cold to decrease the sensory nerves around the knee before surgery. This procedure makes a recovery after surgery significantly easier. Cryoablation has been shown to be effective in reducing post-operative pain scores by 1/3 to 1/2 as much as normal. However, it is considered to be too expensive by many insurance companies. This means that many patients may have to pay for the procedure out-of-pocket or explore other options for managing post-operative pain.
- MyMobility: Many patients are able to recover without formal physical therapy. This online protocol with HIPAA compliant text-messaging and guided exercises provides an average patient savings of $720.00 in therapy copays or $3,600 of uncovered therapy cost.
It is important for our patients to have a clear understanding of the costs that are included in our package for total knee replacement surgery.
There may be other costs not included in the total knee replacement surgery package at a surgical center that you will need to pay out-of-pocket. These costs can include the following:
- Prescriptions: You may need to take painkillers, blood thinners, or antibiotics after surgery. These medications can be expensive and may not be included in the package.
- Additional office visits: You will be charged a fee for an initial consultation with the surgeon before surgery. You will also be charged for the follow-up visits after your procedure outside of the usual expected timeframe. (For total knee replacement surgery, typically, we check in with you after two weeks, six weeks, three months, and one year.)
- Diagnostic studies necessary before surgery, including but not limited to x-rays, labs, MRIs, or CT scans
- Consultation with other specialists who may assist with medical optimization prior to surgery
- Transportation and lodging: If you need to travel to the surgical center for the procedure, you may need to pay for transportation and lodging costs. These costs can include airfare, rental car fees, and hotel accommodations.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy is often recommended after total knee replacement surgery to help you recover and regain strength and mobility. The cost of physical therapy may not be included in the package and must be paid out of pocket.
- Complex surgeries: Patients with BMI >35, prior hardware (pins, screws, plates, rods, knee replacements), or other complex situations may require an increase in cost.
It is a good idea to speak with your healthcare provider and carefully review the costs that are and are not included in the package for total knee replacement surgery at a surgical center. This discussion can help you understand what is covered and what may be additional out-of-pocket costs.
It is always a good idea to do thorough research and explore all options regarding finding high-quality healthcare at a reasonable price, especially if you have a high deductible or are part of a self-insured plan. By comparing prices and facilities, you can make informed decisions about your care and save money on the cost of total knee replacement surgery.
Suppose you are considering traveling to a foreign country to have your surgery. In that case, it is important to carefully research the available facilities and providers and any potential risks and complications associated with medical tourism. It is also a good idea to speak with your healthcare provider and insurance company to understand any coverage and out-of-pocket costs you may be responsible for.
If you have no insurance coverage, it is important to carefully research and compare the costs of different facilities and providers to find the most affordable option. It may also be a good idea to explore financing options, such as medical loans or payment plans, to help pay for the procedure.
It is essential to research and explore all options to find high-quality healthcare at a reasonable price, whether you have insurance coverage. By being informed and proactive, you can make the best decisions for your health and financial well-being.
In conclusion, when it comes to finding a high-quality total knee replacement surgery at a reasonable price in Honolulu, Hawaii, it is important to do thorough research and explore all options. By understanding the various factors that can affect the cost of the procedure, such as the facility setting, insurance coverage, location, and implant selection, you can make informed decisions about their care and potentially save money on the cost of total knee replacement surgery.
It is also essential to consider the quality of care when deciding where to have total knee replacement surgery. Honolulu is home to several hospitals and surgery centers that offer high-quality healthcare, and choosing a facility with a track record of success and patient satisfaction is vital.
By taking the time to research and explore all options, you can find a high-quality total knee replacement surgery at a reasonable price in Honolulu. It is also good to speak with your healthcare provider and insurance provider to understand your coverage and any out-of-pocket costs you may be responsible for.
Overall, it is important to prioritize quality and cost when deciding on total knee replacement surgery in Honolulu. By being informed and proactive, you can make the best decisions for your health and financial well-being.